Sunday, January 9, 2011

Christmas Quilts

Recently I discovered the world of quilts. I was searching through material on Etsy and found such exciting holiday fabrics. Kate Spain of Moda's 12 Day's of Christmas was so beautiful. I had about 10 projects in my mind. What I really wanted was a blanket. Why not try quilting. The Aquarius in me would have jumped right in cutting fabric. However, the teacher in me decided to go to the library and take the smarter route...research. I took out this book; Quick and Easy Machine Quilts.

My research didn't last long, but this book is super for someone who really doesn't know much about quilting. It goes into piecing blocks together and cutting. I created two quilts using this book and am working on a third ( a Christmas quilt for my mother that was never finished.)

My very first quilt was made with Kate Spain's 12 Days of Christmas for Moda. As mentioned I LOVE this fabric. I used several different fat quarters because I couldn't decide which liked the most. I backed the quilt with fleece to make it cozy for the winter.



The second quilt was stressful. I am a kindergarten teacher and work with a wonderful, wonderful teaching assistant for the last 4 years. I really wanted to make her something special for the holidays as a way of saying "Thank you for helping me stay sane in the face of 5 yr olds."

Of course it was a great excuse to buy more fabric, one of my favorite things to do! I chose adorable fabric, Riley Blake's Colorful Christmas. I backed this quilt with fleece as well. My teaching assistant told me her youngest son took it out of the gift bag and promptly claimed this quilt as his! The picture was a last minute before gift giving with my phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment